Random Ramblings

Random Ramblings: Personal observations on a wide variety of subjects. Photographs of creatures and things that are taken on seeing the unusual as well as everyday things.

Addiction

We are all addicts of one kind or another, addicted to something. Whether it is to *sugar and spice and all things nice or to specific sports, television programmes, computers, alcohol, gambling, etc ....... or ........ shopping, we all have a weak spot including me.

Whenever I go on holiday or may be a trip for a few hours to a place that I either haven't been to before or one that I don't go to very often ... I like to find a 'memento' to remind me of it. It may be an item I purchase or one that I simply find such as an unusual stone or shell, a plant or picture. Once I have it I feel an inner contentment that is indescribable, an enjoyment, a fulfilment, an inner peace and a wonderful pleasure - - - that is my addiction.

Over the years I have acquired all kinds of mementos including an unusual stone with blood red particles (from the beach), yellow poppies (originally the seed heads growing near the roadside from Scotland), a stained glass mirror (another seaside memento) ... the list goes on. My latest find was a beaded magnetic bracelet that cost the princely sum of 99 pence from a little shop in the Costswolds!!!

*It is said that sugar is one of the most addictive things on the planet. Once a mother has introduced her child to sugar there is a lifelong addiction or desire for sweet things. Sugar besides being sweet is dangerous - few people realise that the body can do little else than make it into fat ... the kind of fat that stays like an unwelcome friend attached for life!

6 comments:

Lainy said...

Hi Polly!

While dropping, I took time to read this post. I was expecting the "addiction" refers to EntreCard, hahaha!

Like you, I have my own way of taking memento with me. When I was in grade school, I was very fond of writing to friends from different places and countries. We exchange letters and I always keep the stamps. When I see one, I always do collect them. I also have vast collections of table napkins. When I go out with my friends to dine somewhere, I keep that thing with me. I've found out they are from different food chains with dates indicated therein and who I was with.

Anonymous said...

You are so right. On July 18th, I gave up ice cream for the umpteenth time.

Like many of us, this addiction started early; ice cream has been an addiction since I was a child. But I had to give it up because of the sugar and other reasons. Fact is, when I started eating it, I didn't know when to stop. So once again, I gave it up - cold turkey.

I don't know how long it will last this time, but I just feel a little better about the whole thing. I take one day at a time.

An addiction of any kind is not a good thing.

MamaFlo said...

Thankfully I never had an addiction to sweets (that's my husband's addiction). Unfortunately my addiction was always cigarettes until I gave those up 356 days ago (after 36 years). Of course slot machines also were better when I had a smoke in hand and because one is gone the other wasn't far behind.

I hope you enjoyed those sweets while they were going in and down, it somehow makes the extra pounds at least somewhat worth it :)

Unknown said...

I'm addicted to diet Cokes! And to chocolate. And to EntreCard and blogs - and so much more!

ImitationAngel said...

I have many addictions. My main ones are food, computers, and television. I'm breaking them one at a time though.

Kikey Loo said...

i addict to take photos, I can take photos to any things, any where...