Random Ramblings

Random Ramblings: Personal observations on a wide variety of subjects. Photographs of creatures and things that are taken on seeing the unusual as well as everyday things.

Trice thrice

I am inquisitive, I seek out knowledge and drink it all up. This, however, often leads to conflicts of things that you learn through observation and cold hard facts on the printed pages of books. There are times when the two oppose each other but we should never be afraid to question the written word.

Wood-pigeons for example, according to bird books are to be found in fields of clover, growing crops, wild mustard, peas, staying in the fields and foraging amongst the stubble later in the year. The wood-pigeons that come into my garden eat everything – from millet, barley, rolled oats, lentils, black-eyed beans, split yellow peas, sunflower seeds, coconut and mealworms to cat kibble, digestive biscuits, bread, cakes, currants, sultanas, raisins, apple, pear, etc. In fact, the only thing that I have not seen them eat as yet is raw fish and meat.

They fly into the apple trees and begin calling if they cannot see any food on the bird table. Louder and louder they persist … and then they flap about from tree to tree to fence to roof and back ‘coooo-coo, coo-coo, coo’ first deliberate and slow then slightly faster … eventually food is found and they gather impossibly balancing on the bird table, often in threes.

Trice thrice - three wood-pigeons

Three Wood-pigeons – Columba palumbus the largest pigeon in Britain measuring 16 inches


Country Quips:

    • Never leave Sunday best clothes festering away at the back of the wardrobe. Air them often for they will go out of style and life is brief!

2 comments:

Ann said...

I seem to forget most of the things I learn. I think I have a small hole in the back of my memory bank :)
Interesting about the pigeons.
I find that when I'm researching something, one sight will tell me one thing, a second one will contradict the first and a third will say something different yet. It gets confusing at times.

jeanlivingsimple said...

These Wood Pigeons remind me of our Mourning Doves. I love hearing their mournful coos but dislike how they will take over and empty a feeder!